Jama Masjid Delhi | largest mosque in India | information | history | images photos | timings | about Delhi ki Jama Masjid | Masjid-i Jahan-Numa | Old Delhi
This article is all about Jama Masjid in Delhi and it’s history. Here, you will get to know some important and interesting information about Jama Masjid such as Who built Jama Masjid, history and about it’s popularity. You can also have view of amazing Jama Masjid Images and some important points to keep in mind while visiting Delhi ki Jama Masjid.
Delhi ki jama masjid
Masjid-i Jahan-Numa very popularly known as Delhi ki Jama Masjid is a great mosque located in Old Delhi. It was one of the last architectural work done by Shah Jahan.
Now Jama Masjid is very famous for its mughal architecture and designs in the building and mosque.
Largest Mosque in India
One of the largest mosque in India is Jama Masjid Delhi, which has a capacity of holding 25000 people at a time inside it. Such a huge space makes it to be the largest mosque in India.
Information about Jama Masjid
– Jama Masjid was built in 1644-1656.
– Jama Masjid or Masjid-i Jahan-Numa is very famous as Delhi ka Jama Masjid.
– There are two minarets and three gateways where you can enter from gate no. 1 and 3.
– It is constructed of red sandstone and white marble.
– Entry for people other than Muslims in prayer is only in the morning at 07:45 a.m.
– The courtyard in Jama Masjid is on the space of 408 sq. feet which has capacity of accommodating 25000 people.
– From the top of minaret, you can take a beautiful view of Jama Masjid, Connaught place and Parliament house.
Who built Jama Masjid
Jama masjid was built by Shah Jahan (Mughal emperor) in 1656 with approximately expenditure of rs. 10 lakhs. It is said to be one of the last architectural work of Shah Jahan.
Jama Masjid Images
Here, you can view some exquisite photos or images of Jama Masjid.
Jama Masjid history
Jama Masjid was built in 1644-1656 by Shah Jahan, which took more than 5000 workers for construction. Saadullah Khan (Wazir of Shah Jahan) supervised the construction of Jama Masjid Delhi. It took 12 years and Rs. 1 million to construct Masjid-i-Jahan-Numa or Jama Masjid. Shah Jahan invited Imam Bukhari from Uzbekistan for the inauguration of Jama Masjid. It is one of the largest mosque in India.
“Jama” means “Friday” that’s why it is also famous as Friday mosque.
Jama Masjid Delhi Timings
Jama Masjid Delhi timings are:
7:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
1:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Did You Know??
- Jama Masjid is one of the largest mosques in India which has capacity to gather 25000 people.
- It was one of the last architectural work of Shah Jahan.
- You can have an exquisite view from the top of minaret of Jama Masjid, Connaught place and Parliament house.