The Delhi budget 2017-2018 presented by the Deputy Chief Minister on Wednesday proves that the Delhi government focuses a lot on good education and health facilities. Just like in the past years, health and education were the main areas that were taken into consideration by the Delhi government. The total budget of Delhi government is Rs. 48000 crore which has increased from the Rs. 46000 crore budget of the last year 2016-2017.

Focus on Education

Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said that the Delhi government has made increment in the budget for education every year while the central government does not take any such step. Aam Aadmi Party presented a budget that focuses on improving student services and infrastructure of educational institutions. Education sector has received the biggest percentage of Delhi Budget presented by the AAP government that accounts for around 23% of the total budget. This has happened for the second consecutive year that the education sector has got the biggest portion of the total budget.
ā€œEducation is the most priority sector for our government. We have succeeded in creating huge infrastructure in the form of construction of new schools, new classrooms, sports grounds, clean toilet facilities,ā€ said Manish Sisodia, Deputy Chief Minister.

Education sector has secured Rs. 11,300 crore from the Delhi Budget 2017-2018 from which Rs. 10186 crore has been decided for revenue expenditure and Rs. 1,114 crore for capital expenditure. The Delhi government promises to provide training to the teachers and have allocated Rs. 102 crore for the same. They will also give tablets to the teachers so that it becomes easy for tracking the performance and progress of a student. An amount of Rs. 17 crore has been allocated for opening libraries for primary schools and government high schools. The government plans to open 10,000 new classrooms, 10 early childhood education centres and five schools of excellence. They are also focusing on using the education budget on improving the computer laboratories in the schools and the mid day meals.

No Discussion for Teacher Recruitment

As the number of students and schools are increasing, good teachers are also needed to be recruited for improving the education quality, but this thing was not considered in the Delhi Budget 2017-2018.
“There are 27,000 vacancies that need to be filled. The government has neither addressed this issue nor made a commitment to recruit more teachers.”, said Ambarish Rai of the Right to Education Forum.

Focus on Health

With an amount of Rs. 5736 crore, the health sector accounts for 12% of the total Delhi Budget. The government plans on opening new mohalla clinics which are only 110 in number currently. Number of polyclinics is also said to be increased by 2018. As per Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia, seven new hospitals will be opened and will also work in remodelling or renovating ten existing hospitals. The number of hospital beds will be increased for the convenience of the people and an amount of Rs. 15 crore is allocated for medical tests.

Manish Sisodia said that 95% of the total budget is arranged from their own resources and the rest 5% is provided by the Central government.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This