Agrasen ki Baoli, also pronounced as Ugrasen ki baoli or agar sain ki baoli is a beautiful stepwell in Delhi. This has been declared as a protected monument by the Archaeological Survey of India(ASI) under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act of 1958.
Location: Hailey Road, Near Diwanchand Imaging Centre, K G Marg, New Delhi, Delhi 110001
Nearest Metro Station: Barakhamba Road Metro Station on Blue Line
Nearest Bus Stop: Max Mueller Bhavan bus stop
Entry Timings: 10:00 am to 05:00 pm, open for seven days of the week
Agrasen ki Baoli is a beautiful stepwell in Delhi, located in the crowded place of Delhi, Connaught Place. Surrounded by multi-storey buildings of Connaught Place, the baoli is a place where you can find peace and some level of solitude.
Who built it and how was it built?
- The well is a 60 meter long and 15 meter step well which was originally built by maharaja Agrasen and then rebuilt by an Agrawal merchant named Nattal Sahu during the Tughlaq period. Its origin is known only from the works of Vibudh Shridhar who was a poet in Agrawal community.
- There are three visible levels of the baoli which have arched niches on both the sides of the levels which makes the baoli look very beautiful.
- There are small rooms also present in the baoli which are now closed for public entry due to various reasons.
- On the top of the stairs, at the entry of the baoli is a mosque whose roof has partially fallen. It is a very small mosque. The pillars supporting the roof are made of redstone.
Why is it said to be haunted?
This baoli is among the most haunted places of Delhi. There are a number of stories that people have heard related to this place.
- There are rumours that inside the baoli, there is something or someone invisible which follows the person and if the person tries to run, the things also increases its pace.
- As you go inside the baoli, darkness increases and the sounds of various bats and pigeons, which have made the baoli their home, make the place a little spooky for people.
- A story also states that earlier the baoli was filled by black water which hypnotized people and urged them to commit suicide. It was believed that as people drowned in the water, the level of the water in the baoli increased.
- Due to such stories people tend to believe that the place is surrounded by evil spirits who lured people towards itself, mostly people who were depressed.
Why should you visit Agrasen ki Baoli?
If you think that the place is really haunted, you should go and take a look at the place for adventure and if you don’t believe in the horror stories related to the place, you must visit the place just to have a look at the architecture of this beautiful and ancient baoli.
Earlier the place was not very well known, but after the shooting of some scenes of the movie ‘PK’, the monument gained attention of many people. A lot of college mates and couples started visiting the place after that.