Talkatora garden is one of many historical gardens located in Delhi. This garden has been here since Mughal era. In earlier times, there was a swimming pool in this area, but now there is a Talkatora Stadium which makes the place famous.
Location: Mother Teresa Crescent Road, Near President’s Estate, New Delhi
Nearest Metro Station: Rajiv Chowk Metro Station on Blue Line
Nearest Bus Stand: Talkatora Stadium Bus Stand
Entry Timings: 03:00 pm to 06:00 pm, open all days of the week
Why is it named Talkatora Garden?
The garden housed a water tank(called ‘tal’ in Hindi) on its western side and the garden was surrounded by hills which formed a natural depression that looked a lot like a bowl(called katora in Hindi). Due to this reason the garden got its name. The water tank was earlier a pond, which doesn’t exist anymore.
How is the Talkatora Garden historically important?
There was a war going on between the Mughals and the Marathas. During that time, the garden served as a camping ground for the Marathas. The marathas had defeated the Mughals in the war in 1738.
What is special in Talkatora Garden?
- The garden is definitely famous for its serenity and beauty. It is a tourist attraction and a lot of Delhiites and foreigners visit this place from different places.
- Apart from that, the garden is also famous because of the indoor Talkatora stadium which is present in the garden. It has facilities for playing table tennis, badminton, swimming etc. The stadium can hold up to 3035 people at a time. So, a large number of sports lovers visit the place.
- The garden is a tourist attraction mostly during the spring because of variety of plants, exquisite leaves, ferns and flowers blooming in the garden along with the clean water in the pond which make the area more beautiful and inviting.
- There is also an octagonal dome like structure at the north-west side of the tank which earlier prevented the rainwater from flowing inside the tank.
- The garden also organises cultural programs, horticulture shows and competitions to promote the art of cultivating and maintaining a garden. Along with this, the Talkatora garden is one of the most beautiful and green places in Delhi which serves as a picnic place for families and couples.
Who maintains the garden?
The ownership and the maintenance of the Talkatora garden is under NDMC(New Delhi Municipal Council) horticultural department. They take care of every small and big things related to the garden and events that are conducted in the garden.
What are the nearby tourist attractions?
Near the Talkatora garden, there are also other places of tourist attractions like Cathedral Church of Sacred Heart, Rashtrapati Bhavan, India gate, Jantar Mantar, Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, Hanuman Mandir etc.
Why should you visit the Talkatora Garden?
If you are a nature lover and are also interested in Mughal architecture, you must definitely visit the place and relax, forgetting about all your worries. The garden is not just a picnic spot, but also a good place for morning and evening walks, yoga and other exercises.